Melanin is what you call the natural colored pigmentation on the skin. It is what gives the skin the dark color. Black people have more melanin in their skin while white people have almost none. But for some individuals, too much melanin pigments in the skin can be rather unsightly, since beauty has long been associated with the fairness and radiance of the skin. If you’re someone who would prefer having skin with lesser melanin pigments, here are some ways for you to be able to reduce melanin.
Reducing Melanin Naturally
There are many natural ways for you to be able to inhibit melanin formation in the skin. There are lifestyle alterations and home remedies for you to be able to prevent melanin pigments from generating. Here are some of them.
- Lifestyle Alterations
- Avoid sun exposure. Sunlight is the main cause of melanin formation, since the skin produces melanin to protect itself from UV rays. From 10 AM to 4 PM, if you don’t have any purpose to be outdoors, stay in your home. Keeping your skin from getting exposed to the sun if it’s not necessary.
- Use sun protection. A full spectrum sun screen would be a very good choice for sun protection, but you also have the option of using sun block with SPF 15 or higher. Sun protection is necessary whenever you go out and your skin gets in contact with sunlight, especially during summer when the sun shines brightest and the fashion dictates short clothing and exposed skin.
- Wear protective clothing. Tightly stitched cotton clothing is best used if you want to prevent UV rays from getting absorbed by your skin. You should also wear long pants and long-sleeved tops if you’re going out for a long time.
- Home Remedies
- Lemons. Lemons are very good natural skin bleaching fruits because of their high vitamin C content and antioxidant properties. You can simply apply a freshly sliced lemon on the areas of your skin which you want to whiten, or you can make an entire glass or pitcher of lemon juice and add it to your bath water. You can also get a face towel and submerge it in lemon juice, then use it to scrub your entire body. Doing this on a daily basis will give you the best results.
- Milk. Milk has a natural whitening effect which can make dark skin lighter and reduce melanin formation. This is because it contains lactic acid, which is a natural tyrosinase inhibitor that prevents the synthesis of melanin. Tyrosinase is the enzyme used to synthesize melanin and without it, melanin cannot be formed.
- Lime. Like lemons, lime is also a fruit rich in vitamin C. This fruit can also be used in the same way that lemons are used for skin lightening.
- Herbal oils. Olive oil, castor oil, almond oil, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, chamomile oil, and lavender oil are all used for skin therapy. They are also found effective in lightening the skin by softening the skin surface and allowing dead skin cells to be easily replaced. The nutrients and different properties that these oils have also contribute to melanin inhibition and skin lightening.
Artificial Melanin Reduction
If there are natural ways, there are also artificial ways for reducing melanin production. These can be done through the use of products or by undergoing clinical procedures.
- Skin Lightening Products
- Creams. The most popular skin lighteners today are in the form of creams. The products are formulated with both natural and synthetic ingredients which have been found effective in inhibiting the activity of tyrosinase and preventing melanin from being synthesized. Some of the most popular skin lightening creams today are from brands like Nivea, L’Oreal, Meladerm, Makari, Godiva, Neutrogena, Revitol, Shiseido, Clinique, and other popular names in the skin care industry.
- Supplements. The most popular skin whitening supplement is Glutathione, a naturally occurring antioxidant that normalizes all body functions, in turn beautifies the skin and gives it a nice, radiant glow. There are hundreds of brands of Glutathione tablets and capusles in the market and you can buy from the supermarket, drug store, or even from the convenience store near you. Vitamin supplements also help make the skin more beautiful by enhancing overall health.
- Clinical Procedures
- Chemical peels. These procedures make use of chemicals which cause the skin to peel off, allowing new skin cells to replace the old cells and make the skin look younger and more beautiful. Along with the peeling process, the melanin pigments on the old skin cells are also peeled away and the new skin is free from pigmentation.
- Laser. Laser is a common method today for eliminating excessive melanin growths in the form of dark spots, freckles, birthmarks, and other similar unnecessary discolorations on the skin.
- Microdermabrasion. This process uses a fine tipped tool to abrade the surface of the skin and allow newer skin to take its place. This is commonly done in beauty salons for skin whitening and eliminating hyperpigmentation problems.
There are a lot of ways to reduce melanin formation and eliminate excessive melanin pigments. You have the freedom to choose whichever method or tool you would like to use for lightening the color of your skin. But remember, we were all made unique and the color of our skin is something that we should always be proud of no matter how dark it is.